Climate change is a serious threat to our planet. But adults seem to have trouble actually doing anything about it. There is, frankly, a lot of hot air about.
PROJECT GENIE will put that right. It is about taking the power out of power stations, and giving it to the people. It is about reducing electrical charge, and putting you in charge.
Climate change is a serious threat
Despite what you may hear, human-driven climate change is accepted by every major national scientific body worldwide and recognised as an immediate and grave threat. Evidence suggests that we need to reduce CO2 emissions by between 80% and 90% before today’s KS2/3 pupils reach middle age. Furthermore, urgent reductions are needed in the coming five years or less. What we do now will determine the rate of atmospheric temperature rise and the severity of climate change.
The role of children
Surveys show that children are aware of the threat of climate change, and are concerned. They are right to be: it is they who will face the consequences of inaction.
Project Genie aims to let children take control of their future. It equips them with the knowledge and skills to help schools, families and communities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions- saving money, and safeguarding their future.
So what is Project Genie?
Project Genie is independent. It is a not-for profit, apolitical organisation, unaffiliated to any religion, and not owned by big business. It is the result of scientists, doctors, teachers, business people, authors and technologists all working together.
Project Genie is truthful and accurate. There is no hidden agenda. The science underpinning it comes from our partners at the UK Meteorological Office and the University College London Environment Institute.
Project Genie is loved.
How does Project Genie work?
Project Genie aims to educate, enthuse, and empower children to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It gives teachers the means to achieve this aim by providing:
- A full set of diverse and varied cross-curricular lesson plans, covering ten core areas of the curriculum for KS2 (KS1 coming soon!). These will be regularly augmented, updated and refreshed.
- A full background science brief, produced in association with the UK Meteorological Office and the University College London Environment Institute. Click here to see some sample text.
- Full scientific background text at beginner, intermediate, and ‘advanced’ level for students (and parents!) of all abilities. Click here to see some sample pages.
- A ‘live science feed’ meaning that you are up-to-date and fully informed.
- An online PDF of the book ‘The Genie in the Bottle’ for every child to access, written by award-winning children’s author Hugh Montgomery (‘The Voyage of the Arctic Tern’ and ‘Cloudsailors’). This can be provided in printed form, with one copy per child to keep.
- Teaching material including the high quality animated film, custom designed lesson plans, and up to date information on our website.
- Electronic devices for children to record energy usage and see the difference their actions make.
OK. But what makes Project Genie different?
- High Quality: The science underpinning Genie is of the highest standard, having being verified by core partners at the UK Meteorological Office, and the University College London Environment Institute. Teaching materials have been developed by teachers for teachers.
- Independent: Genie was developed by independent scientists, authors, artists, designers and teachers, many of whom also funded its development. It has received some core ‘blue sky’ support from several companies, but is not owned, governed or directed by any of them in any way.
- Supported: Genie has the approval and support of a wide array of individuals, politicians, organisations and companies.
- Validated: Six years in development, Project Genie has been through numerous development cycles, culminating in beta-testing in over 140 schools reaching 34,000 children. Reductions in electricity use were often above 40%, without significant outlay. Cash savings resulted.
- Lauded: Genie is popular with both teachers and pupils. Click here to see what they say.
PROJECT GENIE: empowering children to achieve rapid, meaningful and sustained reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.